Pages

4.23.2016

it wasn't viral...

4/10 ~ So the sudden sickness last night wasn't viral after all...
Prayers requested for my buddy as we await an appendectomy. Possible perforation with abscess involved. 




We're here overnight to be monitored with surgery first thing in the morning.



4/11 ~ His appendix had indeed ruptured. The surgeon just came out and talked through it with us. They were able to do they needed with laparoscopy. He has a drain to get the infection out and will be here until at least Friday with the drain and on IV antibiotics. Please continue to pray for him. He asked to be able to go home after the surgery and doesn't know yet that it will be a few days.
If I have something scheduled with you this week, please offer some grace, touch base with me (in case I forget) and we'll reschedule.
Our amazing "village" is rallying to make sure we are taken care of. You know you are loved when folks like my dear friend Glenda take your other four kids on a spur of the moment sleepover. Others are getting the crew to school and taking care of their lunches, bringing care packages to Caleb and coming to keep us company. I've even heard rumor of dinner already.
We our peeps!

**UPDATE ~ And even though she leaves on a cruise on Friday, Mama is on her way to help provide some normalcy for the rest of the crew for a few days. Ain't no bad day that your Mama can't make at least a little better...**

4/12 ~ Today there was a good bit more pain, so he had some doses of morphine. Apparently he gave the day all he had by playing cards, checkers and watching The Empire Strikes Back because he's been sleeping since I got back at 8:30. 

Ian said there were lots more smiles today AND he got to have some grape juice and apple juice.  
The progress is slow, but seems to be steady...
4/13 ~ I've had a number of texts, calls, emails and messages asking about Caleb today.
Unfortunately not as good of a day as he had yesterday. He's been in a lot of pain and is still only on clear liquids. I know he's really hurting as he chose to try to sleep ~ and I hear a lot of moaning while he does ~ instead of watch some of his favorite shows and he asked me to postpone his siblings coming until tomorrow (and he's REALLY been wanting to see them).
Breaks my heart to see him feeling so badly.
The surgeon and nursing staff have told me though that hitting the 48 hour time window after this surgery is typically the worst so we're praying that tonight and tomorrow are better.
No further word yet on when we get to spring him, but I'm still hoping for Friday afternoon...that would make a GREAT birthday gift for me!
**With prayer, pain meds and a 2 1/2 hour nap, he rallied. We were taking a walk down the hall and he asked if his siblings were in the waiting room.
Thankfully Ian hadn't left the house on his way to switch out for the night, so our team of five got to visit with one another for a few minutes.



That did this Mama's heart some good!



4/14 ~ Dog therapy is a pretty awesome thing! 


(Making the best of a pretty rotten day...we're back to no liquids, not even ice chips  (Come on and wake up GI tract!)

4/15 ~ So we didn't get the "get out of jail free" card that we had hoped.
But we're seeing baby steps of progress today and if it keeps up there is now hope of springing my boy from the hospital on Monday.  
Right now he's enthralled playing Minecraft (something we don't have at home) on an iPad from the teen room so I'm relaxing on the couch with a good book.  
Not exactly how I planned to spend my day, but at the moment I'm responsibility free so it could be worse. I'm sporting my "happy birthday to me" Lula leggings so I'm UBER comfortable and maybe even a bit stylish too.
i *may* have a legging problem...

Oh, and Sadie the therapy dog just stopped by. Man I want another Golden...

brought back memories of our maya
4/16 ~ He seems to have turned the corner today. GI tract shows signs of movement again so he's had some chicken broth and popsicles.



Add a visit from siblings, tonight's feature movie for the two of us (The Force Awakens) and talk of getting out of here on Monday and he's a happy dude.
Someone pass the popcorn...
 


4/18 ~ Breaking news...
As of last night we had been set back to at least tomorrow to get outta here. 
However surgery just made rounds to check in and they liked what they saw from lab work. All IV fluids have been turned off, the drain is coming out within the hour and provided my boy is able to eat and drink to their satisfaction for the rest of the afternoon we are going HOME around 6pm.
A celebratory fruit bowl was in order!




4/18 (evening) ~ HOME!!!
There were two false starts (nausea from pain meds causing lost supper), but we are here.  
After eight days, all SEVEN of us...at ONE time!
Thank you so, SO MUCH to the village that pulled together and helped us survive.
He's still got a way to go to be 100%, but his smile is back...


4/19 ~ His face pretty much sums it up...(though I'm thankful for at least some hint of his personality).

We're back. Four to five days at this point.
Sigh.

4/20 ~ Even after 4+ hours in radiology for a barium GI test, cousin therapy can bring a smile.




4/21 ~ Not exactly my idea of solid nutrition, but it has been my carb loving son's dream... A dinner of saltines and Graham crackers chased with Sprite and sweet tea.

Clear liquids were well tolerated for the day so we've stepped up to crackers. We're working through the progression of eating in hopes of getting a ticket out of here...hopefully a one way ticket this time!

4/22 ~ ...and he's back. My charmer who has nurses tripping over themselves to bring him loads of crackers and Sprite. Seriously, nurses from his entire nearly two week stay are stopping by to see that smile. I'm SO HAPPY to see his personality back!



Looks like dinner tonight of his choice, pizza, and overnight to observe that he tolerates "real food" well. Then HOME tomorrow.


4/23 ~ Finally on our way home! 



And as I'm writing this he is wheeling his own chair down the hall making jokes... He is definitely back!

No comments: