Pages

7.02.2006

Fireworks and Fireflies?

So to explain my choice of title in a nutshell... Both things have brought waves of nostalgia over me in the past few weeks. We've been spending a lot of time with some of our friends from church lately. I've watched their children get excited about catching the first fireflies of the summer and sit in awe of a spectacular fireworks show. As I focused on the boundless joy of these little girls, I wondered if my parents felt the same way as they watched my sister and I as children, racing across the yard in breathless anticipation of being the first to fill our mason jar with the small glowing bugs. Or did they smile with satisfaction the first time we sat through a fireworks display without screaming our heads off because of the noise. Anyway, spending time with friends that have young children has made me that much more anxious for our referral to come from China! I can't wait until we get to watch our little one enjoy the summer! And as I held little Katie on my lap tonight and pointed to the splendor in the sky, I couldn't help but think that before long we will be pointing to a display much like the one we were seeing and explaining to our daughter that fireworks were created in her home country...

2 comments:

LaoLao Shultz said...

Really like the name of your blog. I remember the pure joy of watching you girls running around the yard reaching high over your heads for the ever elusive fireflies. We would be filled with warmth for our little daughters watching them have so much fun. The hard part was talking you into releasing the fireflies before we went inside so they could "go to find their mommies and daddies". Hope you remember the evenings after moving to Midland when we would lay in lounge chairs (one of you laying between my legs and the other laying between your Daddy's legs)star gazing. Your Daddy would point out many of the constellations. You girls would get so excited when you would find one yourself. Even then we were realizing how amazing our God is - He made the heavens and held them in the palm of His hand! Wow - that is really BIG. Fireworks were more exciting when seen through your eyes. We would all chorus Awe! Wow! Ohh! What fond memories. Lao Lao

Tricia said...

I think I will start reading your blog. Glad for you that your family is growing again. God bless.