Pages

11.23.2008

Taco soup

Since Ian and I were first married we've been spending Sunday afternoons at Mama's house. When you take out a few weeks for vacations and stuff that means that over the past nine years we have eaten lunches and dinners there about 450 times! All that to say that 1 ~ we really miss our lazy Sunday afternoons with family and 2 ~ I had never really learned to use the timer delay on my oven because Mama always took care of the meals!

Luckily Saturday I saw a recipe on Allison's blog and thought it sounded great for an easy meal. Today after church (our 4th Sunday here, the 4th church we've visited ~ another story for another post) we went to lunch at Panera with friends and then came home to the delightful smell of Taco soup! I could hardly wait long enough for dinner to eat it! Ian and I really liked it and I think the kids agreed...

"Wow! This is really good!" Well, he slurped up the broth anyway, but there has to be good nutrition in it, right? By the way, note Maya's position! She's learned where to hang out at meal time!

"Dis is a yilla bit picy!" But she loved it and ate TWO bowls full!

"Hey Mama, can I get some more?" He really did put the bowl down and sign, "please more!" And do take time to click on the picture to enlarge it ~ the amount of food and seasoning on his face is priceless!

And this picture has nothing to do with Taco soup, but I couldn't resist it! She had taken her tights off after church to avoid slipping on the hardwood floors and was so intent on finding something in that purse.

I do have some "catch up" blogging to do from our first week home and when my mom was here while Ian was in Texas, but sleep is winning tonight! I do hope that someday I feel like I'm fully back on this time zone...

8 comments:

Melissa said...

I love the furry face waiting in the background for Caleb to slip something from the table. I've always joked that we needed to more chairs at the table for our dogs since they are better behaved at dinner than our kids are. :-)

Tricia said...

I checked out the recipe, it sounded great until I got to the corn. I love corn but for some reason don't like it mixed with anything. Glad to see Caleb liked it. Maya's gonna need to be walked more frequently if she's camping out next to Caleb. :)

Anonymous said...

Yumm. I want taco soup! Della made some the other night at Bunco! It was delicious!
Aunt cici

Our Journey said...

I'm sure it's hard to go from a tradition at your moms to starting new ones of your own...but looks like a good start - yummy soup! I hope you get back on "track" -- it took me two weeks after we got home last year!!!

Jordan Carl said...

mmm.. taco soup! I hope you have a good Thanksgiving, wish you were here. Love you

Heather said...

This is the same taco soup we make and we love it (although we use ranch seasoning packet instead of taco seasoning ... I think then it's not so spicy?) Love the pictures - the kids look wonderful!

Heather said...

This is the same taco soup we make and we love it (although we use ranch seasoning packet instead of taco seasoning ... I think then it's not so spicy?) Love the pictures - the kids look wonderful!

Nicole said...

Emmi Su slurps soup just like Caleb. My other 3 kids now say "CHINA STYLE" and roll their eyes when she eats this way. Very funny!