Pages

11.24.2008

Desperate times...

...call for desperate measures! If you know of where I can get a REAL fridge lock that doesn't involve a thick rubber band and a chopstick that looks like this...
...please let me know!

This morning we spent our play time in the backyard. We ran around, threw the ball for Maya, played in the leaves in the natural area, and spent about 45 minutes blowing and chasing bubbles.




















Caleb operated the "bubble gun" while Kylie showed her talent with the "bubble flower." (By the way, Kylie picked this outfit out this morning and told me she wanted to wear her "airplane clothes" as she calls it). It never ceases to amaze me how long a container of soapy water will entertain kids!

This morning was rather like the first Tuesday we were home. It was a warm, sunny day and after our excursion to the park, we just camped out in the back yard and soaked up some vitamin D. The dog dishes provided about 30 minutes of entertainment as they pulled up dead grass and filled the bowls with it. Kylie is beginning to get such an imagination and would present me with a bowl full of "spaghetti" or "salad" each time one was full. We'd dump it out and then they'd go back to work filling them up together again. I think that being outside is the key to harmony with two toddlers! As long as they had the same toy ~ a dog dish each ~ and an unlimited supply of something to fill it with ~ grass ~ they were fine!

Then Maya wanted to eat, so we had to relinquish her dishes and find something else to do. That's when Caleb discovered how fun it was to throw a ball for Maya! And so the kids were racing across the yard to beat Maya to fetching her ball so they could throw it. It did the heart good to listen to their laughter as they ran. Of course that evening there were complete melt downs, and I was about to cry myself, but for about an hour in the back yard, my heart was light!




By the way, it's a good thing that Maya's having a new opportunity to get exercise even in the back yard. She's already gained about 15 pounds since Kylie came home and she's found a new spot for supper now!
She's no dummy!

13 comments:

Tricia said...

Today was sunny? You're lucky. It's cold and rainy here!

Kristi said...

Well, it started sunny ~ I think your cold rain is on it's way...

Tricia said...

I wish your sun and warmer weather were coming here. Adam and I are headed to Camp Thunderbird tomorrow. We're wearing long underwear. :)

Cindy M said...

That is stinkin' funny! I will check out "Babies R Us" and see if I can find you a fridge lock, but I have to commend your ingenuity! I also had a nice chuckle at your expense, my dear!

And I love the pics of the kids...Caleb just looks like an adorable little imp! Can't wait to get my hands on him! And I am super honked that Maria and Shannon get to see him first! :-)

Allison said...

We had a fridge lock at our other house, but because the cat kept getting into it. I think I bought it at Kmart. It was just two pieces of plastic that you stuck on the fridge with a clip. It worked.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristi, I've been enjoying reading your blog and Elyse and Layna likes to look at the pictures. Anyway we use one of the cabinet locks on the regridge, you know the ones with 2 loops that come together in the middle...they work great.

Amy

Melissa said...

Kristi - Oh, I wish it were warm and sunny here. The dreary weather here in PA sure does affect everyone's mood! I just love seeing Caleb and Kylie playing together - they look like they are having so much fun and I sure it's exhausting for you but so rewarding!!! I will have to take pointers on your fridge lock ideas and the ideas other share!!!

chiltown said...

Kristi! I love reading your blog, and I love your beautiful family. You have had so many big changes lately, and I will be praying for you and Ian.

Y'all are the best! :-)

with love,

Ann Marie Chilton

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun!
Aunt Cici

Anonymous said...

Love it and I agree fresh air and sunshine are key to harmony with toddlers, ha! Love the one of Maya under the table - looks my house! :) Off to read the other new posts. Have a great week!

Nicole said...

We used a lock like the one in this link, tho we don't need one now.......:)
http://www.mypreciouskid.com/refrigerator-lock.html
I wish it were warm here, I would even take 40's right now :) Enjoy some time outside for us!!!

Anonymous said...

I laughed at your blog today. We don't have those problems with the fridge here, the fridge is on top and the freezer is on the bottom! Great idea! But when the boys were about 2 1/2 they dumped a whole gallon of OJ on the carpet in the hallway (our house was on the market at the time). I got a fridge lock at Babies R Us... quickly! Happy looking!

Jordan Carl said...

Sounds like fun. I wish we had warmer weather so we could play outside!