Pages

10.20.2020

OBX "school-cation" {11 years of Nuggety Goodness!}

Though it would be nearly four years before our family would benefit, eleven years ago today the world gained one of my very favorite people.  


And because she doesn't always believe she is worth all the fuss, we did a little extra decorating to make sure she knew just how happy we are to celebrate her 11th ride around the sun.


And the location?  Well, before we scheduled a somewhat last minute "school-cation" to the OBX, we did check to make sure being away from home on her birthday would be acceptable .  


She whole heartedly agreed.  After all, if a "school-cation" is awesome, then a "school-cation" for your birthday is AMAZINGLY awesome!


My nugget.  Now at eleven she's starting to dance in that space between "I'm still a little girl" and "I'm almost a teen."  Today though, Stitch and HoHo the monkey are still her favorites.


While the decorations were greatly appreciated along with breakfast donuts, the day didn't go without hiccups. 


Wifi went down just as she and Nicholas logged onto their morning meeting, so she missed her birthday shout out from her teacher.  And we were headed to Jeanette's Pier to explore when heavy fog in Nags Head turned us around.  


Thankfully those details didn't tank the day.  Her requested dinner (meatloaf and mashed potatoes) brought that signature smile.


And presents sure didn't hurt.


A Starlabs sweatshirt, a Stich squisimal and a GoPro.


But the best smile came with her cake.  Fourth year running (I think) that she's requested the Pioneer Woman's buttermilk chocolate cake with Nutella ganache.  


I may not have the best cake decorating skills (I'm okay accepting my shortfalls) but it's made with love.  And it sure tastes good.


And I could probably put Stitch figurines on a box mix cake and she'd likely love it just the same.


And so begins her 11th year of bringing big emotions to the world...


My spicy Nugget,

You bring so much to our table.  More carefree laughter, more retrospective memories, and, admittedly, on occasion, more volume. While you're often reluctant to admit it, you have a hunger for learning that spans both knowledge for school and your forever family history.  I am frequently in awe of your ability to make connections from the bible into life today.  You are a no-nonsense sort and tell it like it is.  But there's a soft side of you too, and you are often the one that keeps us connected to family memories.
I pray that you will see yourself in the light I do...as one of your favorite shirts says, "Brave, brilliant and beautiful!"  Keep asking the tough questions because you help all of us to be a better version of ourselves.
I love you my sweet bit of Nuggety Goodness!  I'm so blessed to be the one you call Mama!
All my love,
Mama

No comments: