Pages

3.29.2020

20th Anniversary Trip {Zion morning 2 ~ Angel's Landing}

Tuesday morning offered strikingly beautiful skies and delightful temperatures.  We had our morning coffee on our terrace, watching the rocks change color before our eyes and then headed over to Cafe Soleil for a hearty breakfast to fortify us for the first half of the day...we had a mountain to climb.  


While I had no intention of going to the end of Angel's Landing, it was apparent that Ian wanted to experience it.  Getting up to Scout Lookout where there is an optional stopping point is a four mile round trip hike and provides a fabulous view down the canyon. We had plenty of time and the desire to see as much as possible.

So up we went...


The initial ascent covers a lot of elevation change and is pretty much in full sun, so we were quite relieved to come to the section of the hike that passes between two rock formations known as Refrigerator Canyon.  We had read ahead of time there was a section of the trail dubbed "the fridge."  There was no doubt when we reached it...the cool breeze was unmistakable.


Next came the section known as Walter's Wiggles.  It is an insane ascent along 21 switchbacks that take you as a hiker around 250 feet up a sheer cliffside.  We may have stopped for a ridiculous number of selfies on this section just to catch our breath.


And then finally we were at the last bit before Scout Landing.




This was where I decided to stop.  27 years ago my sister, my dad and I (Mom wasn't feeling well that day and stayed in our motor home while the others hiked) were at this very same spot where I came to terms with my fear of heights.  I remember then inching my way to the edge at that very spot to look down the cliff...

recreating memories..and becoming friends with a chipmunk
This was where I set up camp to wait for Ian as he trekked on.


It was the weirdest feeling watching him grab that chain and take off...I remembered just how narrow some sections of that trail were from my encounter with Angel's Landing back in 1992.  I cried most of the way across back then due to my fear of heights, so I decided to just sit back and watch.








I talked with a bunch of folks who were also waiting for companions to come back in the hour or so that Ian was gone.  Met some good people from all over our country and enjoyed the comradery of fellow hikers.

As nice as they all were, I was so very happy to see this smiling face headed back my way!


Since we had already made it up Walter's Wiggles, we decided to continue upward before heading back to Springdale for lunch.  


West Rim Trail offered us a chance to gain just a bit more altitude.


And best of all, it gave a different view of the Angel's Landing trail Ian had just completed.

yeah, that skinny knife-like section with over 2000 foot drop offs.
that's what I decided to skip this go round...
At this point breakfast had long since left us and it was getting quite warm.  Time to head back down to the Grotto to catch the shuttle back into town to get lunch.

The way back started with going down Walter's Wiggles.  I'm still not sure which was worse, going up or down...both were BRUTAL!


Once we finished wiggling and passed back through Refrigerator Canyon, it was back down the remaining eight hundred(ish) feet back down to the trail head.

Again, these views.  I totally get why people visit southern Utah and never go home again...


This 5.4 mile hike, with a bit added from our West Rim trail addition, with just shy of 1500 ft of elevation change, took us just over three hours.


Plenty of time to take on the other iconic Zion hike for the afternoon...

No comments: