Pages

9.12.2010

Sunday Snapshot {The reality of Unconditional Love}

I grew up somewhat of a southern belle in the heart of "the Bible Belt."

That means that there were things I accepted as truth without giving them much thought.   

Things like, "The Mason-Dixon line is where they stop sweetening the tea." and "Using please and thank you, yes mam and no mam will get you far." and "God loves you unconditionally."

Now into adulthood, I've learned the line has nothing to do with taking sugar (or not, though I don't understand why you wouldn't) in your tea.  And I've seen it proven again and again that good manners open doors.  But most importantly, the concept of unconditional love has shifted from being a truth I accepted into a true part of my reality.

Of course, it wasn't a quick shift.

I mean, really, UN-conditional?  For a while it seemed too good to be true.  It was something that I, as a good little protestant girl, accepted, but I'll admit I had a difficult time wrapping my brain around the concept.  Nothing I could possibly do would diminish the Father's love for me?  Nothing?

During my college years I had some serious times of doubt.  It seemed that surely some of my poor choices would cause Him to love me less.  I held on to the belief with as much strength as I could muster, but some days I had reservation in embracing that I could be loved unconditionally.

Enter the treasures God has gifted me the privilege of helping Him raise.


Suddenly the entire idea takes on new meaning.  It shifted from a truth I wanted to believe to a real part of my life.  Now I get how you can be disappointed in a choice someone makes and yet still love them.  Really, REALLY love them.

Now that I'm a mom, I don't just believe in unconditional love anymore ~ I live it...

***************************************************************************




Ni Hao Y'all

20 comments:

Heather said...

Well said. Sounds like our upbringing was similar as well!

Jess Danielson said...

Awesome Kristi! Your sleeping beauties are one of God's great gifts!

Jennifer Taylor said...

Beautifully Said!

Nancy said...

What a great post and a sweet photo!

Lisa said...

Beautifully written. Parenthood does have a way of changing our prospective for the better.

Bekah said...

LOVE it! Thanks for putting it so eloquently!

Heather said...

Those pictures always get me ... I want to see my three sleeping all together! Love it.. so sweet. And as always .. beautifully written post. :)

Andrea said...

My girls have definitely shown me God's unconditional love. There are so many days I just don't deserve it but they pour it out so freely. A beautiful portrait of grace.

Annie said...

Love it Kristi! What a beautiful post. That unconditional love is an amazing thing!

Denise said...

I agree that becoming a parent helped me understand how much God loves me...I would do anything for my children and He would do the same for me...actually He already did! Great post Kristi...have a great week~

Tina Michelle said...

wow, great post and cool pic.

Melissa said...

You have such a wonderful way with your words, Kristi. I always read, reread and then think for a long time after some of your posts. So very true what you have said....

Mama said...

Nothing like parenthood to help us understand Unconditional love. God is such an amazing teacher.
He has certainly lead you and Ian into Godly parenthood.
Love you,

Kristi said...

So true, you hit the nail right on the head with this one. Exactly how I feel sometimes, ok alot of the time lately. Thanks,

Kristi

Laine said...

Amen and amen...

love that pic of them sleeping together! I thought of you the other day when I was out and about, and I imagined you going to the store with your 3 little ones and how adorable they all must look together everywhere they go! I know your family puts a lot of sweet smiles on faces--it sure does mine! :)

Nancy @ Ordinary Miracles & The Crazy 10 said...

Gorgeous words, Kristi! Thank you for the reminder of His love for ALL of his children.
Each with their own blankie??!!! Oh TOO precious!
Nancy-of the Crazy 8s

Our Journey to China said...

I love, love, love your blog post. God is truly good, all the time and He blesses His children with His unconditional love more than we can fathom, even as loving our children unconditionally as humanly possible! I don't think anyone could have put it any better than you!! We love you and your family so very much!! :0)

Sharon said...

Oh man, so true!!! Thank heavens our kids return that unconditional love!.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!

kasie bridges

Traci said...

Love that!