Pages

9.17.2010

One child at a time

Estimates vary, but sources point to the fact that there are somewhere between 143 and 210 million orphans around the world.

Think about that for a minute.

That means, even if we take the low number, that tonight, 143 MILLION children will go to bed without someone of their very own to kiss them as they snuggle under the covers, if they have any covers at all.  That means that tomorrow morning, 143 MILLION children will wake up without hugs and kisses from a family all their own.

If thinking about those children bothers you and you'd like to do something, I'd love to talk to you about how my three children have blessed me more than I could have ever imagined. 

And if bringing another child into your home isn't a way for you to respond (right now anyway), that's okay too. 

Chances are pretty good that you know someone who is in the process of adopting.  This is where you can "step up to the plate" and do your part ~ three times through the process myself, I can tell you that cost is one major hurdle.  Helping to fund someone's adoption is a way to assist in reducing that 147 million by one.

And one is a start.

Just in case you don't personally know anyone adopting right now, I'd like to tell you about friends of ours who are.

Donna and Alan were our assigned "dinner table buddies" on the Beijing part of Kylie's adoption trip.  While we were in very different stages of life at the time (they had a highschooler, a middle schooler, and two elementary age kids back then and we were first time parents) we enjoyed their company very much.  They had been around the block with babies and helped us in our fledgling days of parenting.  Before we left China, we had come to think of them as family.  I mean, Donna and I did share a delivery room on that trip.


We've kept in touch frequently via the miracle of modern technology and have had the opportunity to visit with them again twice ~ one of those times at our (first) agency's national reunion last fall.

 The P family as it existed last fall ~ minus the college student.

Needless to say, when Donna and Alan announced this spring that they are adding to their family once again, we were thrilled!  This time a little handsome guy, soon to be named Andrew, waits for them on the other side of the world.


Here's where you come in.  They're getting close to travel and are still a few K short.  While I can't provide all that remains, there is something I can do.  The best part is that I can do some early Christmas shopping while I'm at it.  Donna and Alan are participating in a fundraiser through HipMomJewerlry.  30% of any necklace bought from the adoption section will go directly to them.  There are some great designs, but don't take my word for it.  Click on the button below to head on over and shop away!  Just don't forget to put their family code (PAGE10) in the discount coupon and comments section. 


What are you waiting for?  Get on over and get some birthday, anniversary, and Christmas shopping done.  Hurry though, their time in this fundraiser ends on the 30th of September.

And just as a thought, if your budget can't support some necklace purchases this month, how about just sending them a ten or a twenty?  They do have a ChipIn link on their blog.  (go to Inn of the Seventh Happiness to chip in)

I promise, you'll be helping "good people" bring a loved one home!

And honey, if you're reading, the "I searched the whole world for you" necklace is awesome. :)

6 comments:

Heather said...

Congrats to them! Their newest addition surely is a handsome one. (I'm a smidge jealous) :-)

I'll check out their fundraiser.

Cindy M said...

Amen, sister!

The Ferrill's said...

Going to check it out...thanks for letting us know, Kristi!

Traci said...

Done and Done! :) I posted it on my facebook too!

Annie said...

Wonderful! I will have to go check it out!

Jewels of My Heart said...

What beautiful words... Thank you for advocating for the precious children who have been orphaned, for all of the families in the journey to bring our children home and just trusting the Lord to provide the money because we don't have it, and for your friends...
Will lift them and their little man up in prayer.
God bless you,
Daleea