Pages

4.15.2009

Being well celebrated

As April 15 rolls around each year I feel like I gain just a little more insight on what really matters in life. (I'm gaining on my Mama ~ whom I now recognize as the wisest woman on the planet, funny that I didn't see that as a teen ~ but still have a long way to go to rival her in wisdom). I have a God who loves me more than my human mind can comprehend. This year my birthday fell pretty close to Easter which is a celebration of the greatest gift mankind has EVER received!

I have a husband who truly cherishes me, even in the moments that I don't deserve it. Despite being on a tight deadline at work right now, he took off early today to come home and fix me a gourmet dinner before we headed to parenting class. (He even bought, prepared and served roasted asparagus because I love it so, despite the fact that he declares asparagus overgrown grass). I'm so, so very thankful that Mama prayed for me from the time she knew she was pregnant that I would eventually find and marry a Christian spouse! I pray I never have to know what life would be like without him, he is my best friend and soul mate! (This picture was taken at Mama's on Christmas night, long after the kiddos had been tucked into bed and while the lighting isn't the greatest, and he's sitting on my lap instead of the other way around, I love it. Somehow it seems to capture that together we "just are" if that makes any sense).

I also have two children who light up my world. There's Ky who can't seem to decide if she is "rough and tumble" by playing with trucks or wanting to wield a hammer or if she is a "girly girl" playing dress up by carrying purses and accessorizing her outfits. She is FULL of personality and brings such joy to my soul. She's bright and has a memory that never ceases to amaze me. This morning her first words to me were, "Is it your birf-day Mama? Yes, it is, so Happy Birf-day!" And then she just held her arms out to me and let me snuggle her for the most delightful long time! Over the past few weeks I've been noticing that she and I are back to where we were before Caleb came home. Not that our relationship had gotten "bad" but simply that she was not pushing me away any longer. We have our little "love games" again and today even Ian commented on it. If that's not a wonderful birthday gift then I don't know what is.

Then there's Caleb. My pint-sized dynamo (who at 2 1/2 is sporting 18 month clothing that appears baggy on him) who is larger than life. He has two speeds; sleeping and ON, two volumes; silent and LOUD, and two dispositions; happy and HAPPIER! We have a lock on our fridge, all breakables over four feet off the ground, and more laughter than we know what to do with. This guy hugs with his whole body and lights up a room when he makes eye contact with you. His smile is contagious and I find myself falling a bit more in love with him every day and wondering if it is really possible that he hasn't even been in my life (physically anyway) for six full months yet.

Add to these blessings a handful of phone calls today from family, a mailbox full of birthday cards, an email inbox and facebook page full of birthday wishes and a birthday cookie brought to parenting class by a dear friend and you have a great birthday. Was my birthday glitzy or glamorous this year? Not so much. But was it full of what matters? You betcha! For each person who played a role in celebrating me today, thanks, I love you ~ mean it!

14 comments:

Amy Woods said...

Oh my word! Happy, Happy Birthday!!! What a sweet post! And yes, I completely understand the picture of you and Ian just being who you are. I love it! I can tell you are very well celebrated!!

Laurie said...

Well, happy 30th to YOU! :) I'm glad you had a memorable one, concentrating on what really brings us joy in our lives! I LOVE the picture of you and Ian- just precious!

Larry and Carol said...

I'd say your wisdom is up there with your mom's - you got it all right with what matters. Happy Birthday AC and UL

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! You had me in tears talking about your returning to "normal" with Kylie. I'm sensing a return as well which included DWTStars, a bag of potato chips and my little one cuddled up beside me. Those are the real celebrations!

Andrea

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!
Aunt cici

Tricia said...

Yes, Happy~Happy Birthday!

Much love, Tricia

Jenn said...

Happy Birthday!!! You have such a way with words...had me crying at reading about how blessed you are!

May the next year be just as richly blessed!!

Jenn

Lisa said...

What a great way to memorialize your birthday! Sorry I didn't know...can you celebrate again today? Happy Birthday!!!

Love your Christmas pic! I think the lighting is perfect!

Our Journey said...

Happy Birthday!! What a beautiful post.

Saundra said...

Delighted that your birthday was full of nice surprises and lots of love. God did answer my prayers for you for a Godly mate. I am now praying the same prayer for my two grandchildren.

You are precious to me.
Love, Mama

Pam said...

Happy, happy birthday, Kristi! You are blessed indeed!

C.C. said...

Wonderful post!! BTW, I think the lighting is perfect in the pic of you and Ian...what a great picture!!!

Sharon said...

Happy Birthday!!!! Yes, you have it made! Your description of Caleb sounds so much like Hudson...

Nancy said...

Sounds like an awesome day!!!! Happy Birthday!!