Pages

3.10.2020

KB is 14!

March 10.

Another day, another cake...


This time with 14 candles.


Because she is our "leader of the pack" and ready or not, she just keeps leading the way.  



In all ways, including getting older.

While she only had one specific request this year, a favorite book that she's checked out of the library several times since October, thankfully she's dropped a few hints over the last few months.  Simple jewelry, a sizable gift card to the bookstore,


...and proving that there's still a bit of "a little girl" inside, a Squishamal.  Because who doesn't love a squishy blue rabbit that can double as a pillow?


There are moments that I wish I could jump back in time about 13 1/2 years to when we first met her...when she was most content to be against my chest in the snuggli carrier.


Or a decade to revisit that chubby little toddler/funny little pre-schooler who kept me on my toes.


Or just several years to experience again that time when her self confidence blossomed during the end of her elementary career.


But then again, I am crazy about where she is/who she is today.  Despite her moods occasionally getting the best of her, she is developing into a young woman who is passionate about justice in the world.  She is interested in saving marine wildlife (attending a sea turtle camp this summer is a way for her to explore a potential career choice) and standing up for those that are marginalized in various ways in our community and the bigger world.  I found myself humbled to be the mom of a teen,  who while enjoying the blessing of a Make A Wish trip at Give Kids the World Village in Orlando, that said, "I think it's great that kids with critical illnesses like Nicholas and their families have a week to be celebrated and taken care of like they do here.  I think there should be something for kids who've been abused too!"
Watch out world, she's got some ideas, hopes to intern at Give Kids the World when she's in college and just may start a new organization to benefit a whole other group of kids.


Happy birthday my love!  We may have moments where we don't see eye to eye and I can occasionally hear your eyes rolling at me...but I am so very grateful and humbled to be the one you call Mama.  Your beauty shines from a pure heart and it creates a presence that draws others in...always use that quiet attraction to bring His kingdom to earth!

[Find it within you to love exactly who you are and to know you’re capable, you’re loved and you’re beautiful. The world is a better place, because of you. You are unique because there is only ONE of you.] 
– Shantel VanSanten

No comments: