Pages

9.11.2017

...nine will be just fine...

Time is spiraling somewhat out of control these days and I'm just doing my best to hang on.
Fortunately I have a padawan running around to help keep things safe at the M8 house.


Unfortunately this Jedi in training has no respect for what his getting older does to a Mama's heart...


Seriously though, he's a pretty terrific kid.  Yes, he can pitch a wicked fit like no body's business when he's overtired or his blood sugar is low (truly my son in this respect and he's not even genetically mine...) and he's just a teeeennnyy bit competitive (my mini-me).

BUT.  This kid throws himself into what he's doing with his whole heart.  He wears a sense of justice for the downtrodden on his sleeve.  He gives the BEST hugs per pound ratio that I've ever been smothered with.  He wishes for the world to know just how much Jesus loves them.  And he loves his family fiercely.

Eight was great.


And so I have no doubt that nine will be just fine.
(Though I'm having a hard time coming to terms with him being so close to double digits now).


For the month leading up to his birthday he was requesting the Pioneer Woman's "from scratch" chocolate cake with Nutella frosting, strawberries and homemade whipped cream.  And then two days before (after I had already bought all the ingredients for the chocolate cake) he switched gears on me and asked for a fruit cake.  Imagine my confusion as I thought he was asking for one of the brick cakes that gets traded at Christmas...I couldn't figure out when he had ever even seen one.  So upon questioning he said, "You know, like the ones in the fancy bakery shops.  But I want mine to be Star Wars."

Two things saved cake.
A "fruit pizza" Pinterest search and the fact I had already purchased some Lego mini-figures to decorate the other cake...


It certainly wasn't the most elaborate cake ever, but I think the combo of fruit (the boy hasn't met a fruit he doesn't like) and Star Wars left him pretty speechless.


Truly a cake for this fruit loving boy...


And then it was time to shower him with gifts.
A remote control BMW Ian doubled back to a store to purchase while we were in China.


A bird feeder for him to paint and then treat our backyard friends.


And Poe Dameron's X-wing fighter.


Grandma was here up until his birthday morning and when she took him for his shopping trip he carefully selected some Pokemon cards, an orange and grey watch, and his new light saber.  You know, a padawan can never be caught off guard!

Daniel Zhenyu, I love you to the Outer Rim and back.
Always,
Mommy

ps ~ A few weeks ago, when you were still 8 and we were both counting down the days until you were 9, you beat me forever in our nightly "I love you to..." game.  I said I loved you to the horsehead Nebula and back and you quietly responded with, "I love you from my heart to your soul."  I'll never be able to top that one kiddo, but the Outer Rim was the furthest Star Wars place I could think of.

No comments: