Pages

8.22.2017

so long elementary school

Time. 
So elusive. 
Lately I've come to see the passage of time much like a rubber band. Moving along, catching and stretching slowly and then suddenly snapping and rocketing at an alarming pace.

I've experienced hours that stretched into what seemed months and years that vanished more quickly than a collection of weeks.  

I feel the last six years were both eternal and instant at the same time.  August 2011 came at me like a freight train.  We were settling into our new home, there was a new toddler in the house, and I was preparing to send my eldest child to kindergarten.  

first (staggered entry) day of kindergarten
 august 29, 2011

We won't even go into the emotional mess I was that first day.
And it wasn't just me.
Her siblings weren't ready to let her go either.



So yeah, that fist day was rough.

Okay, week.

Alright, alright, month...

But somehow she and I and her siblings survived it.  And before any of us knew what had happened, there she was finishing kindergarten.

jumping for joy on the last day of kindergarten
june 7, 2012
And if I thought that first year went fast...
I had no idea how time would continue to roll over me like a bullet train once it reaches top speed.  The next year my "twins" headed to kindergarten, the next we welcomed Nat into the family and then year round swimming started, then the process to bring Nicholas home began, we once again took this beauty on a trip across the world (she's been back to her homeland five times now), and before long I found myself standing beside Ian watching our big girl file into chairs with her class for the "moving up ceremony."


Moving up as in GRADUATING from elementary school.


What the what?
How does this even happen?
Miraculously, even though I was prepared to be the emotional wreck mom, I managed to stay composed with just a couple of silent tears escaping when our principal addressed the parents and said something about how we felt that first day of kindergarten.  It was just that realization of how quickly it actually does go.


Our girl received her completion of elementary school certificate along with the rest of the graduating 5th graders and then two classes of us headed inside to watch the slide show of all the kids through the years.

This was a great opportunity to get some pictures with a few of the friends that made her elementary career grade a blast.


Then outside for a cake and lemonade reception...along with more pictures.


And how could we forget her amazing teacher and student teacher?  These two ladies made 5th grade stand out as her very favorite of the six years she spent in elementary.


It's hard to believe that she's finished with D elementary school.  But we look at her, how she's grown (um, hello I'm wearing wedge heel sandals in this picture) in both height and maturity and we realize it is time for her to embrace a new chapter of life.
She's ready.



Me however?
Well, I'm still holding on to memories of this very first day she and Lottie walked to kindergarten together.  Surely they are still those tiny little girls I remember in my mind?

first official day of kindergarten
sept 1, 2011
Or not.

last official day of 5th grade
june 8, 2017

At least I know that they'll be tackling middle school together.
That makes me embrace it a tiny little bit more...besides, I think she may be ready to spread her wings.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, my beautiful, Kylie. Can it be possible that the sweet baby that was handed to your Mommy and Daddy in Guanghou, China can possible be this self assured, lovely 6th grader? What a joy it has been to watch you blossom over the past 11 years. Grandma loves you so much.