Pages

2.26.2012

Sunday Snapshot {his A2}

The day after Christmas my baby and his sister's A2 series Razor scooter had an encounter.

More specifically, my baby's face and the handlebars of his sister's A2 series Razor scooter had an encounter.

This was the result.

the black eye didn't fully set in until the next day
After that brush with vision catastrophe, no way was I gonna let him near another Razor until he was 5 ~ maybe even 8.

But he so wanted to ride.  And then I remembered my own bumps and bruises, both physical and to my ego, as I learned to ski about ten years ago.  I was gonna get down those black diamond slopes with Ian by the end of the season or die trying.

I could see in my baby's eyes how important it was to him to learn.

So I let him practice on very flat surfaces while his big sister was in school and her purple scooter was available.  The first few days brought several wipeouts and I was just about to go back to my original position about him riding.  But he kept picking himself up and brushing himself back off.  He was so determined.


As the days went by his awkward riding ability became more and more graceful.


And his painfully slow snail pace increased to one that I can barely out-run.


So this weekend Ian and I decided it was time.  (And it may have helped that a major toy chain had their Razors on mega-sale).  Yesterday afternoon while he was napping my mom and I made a run to pick up his very own blue "stoo-ger."  His expression when we handed him the box was priceless.  Couldn't have gotten a bigger smile unless Lightning McQueen had appeared in our driveway.

Of course you as soon as we had that scooter out of the box and snapped in place, all he wanted to do was go to the cul de sac.


Once there, he was a focused little guy.  It was time to forge a bond between boy and scooter.  Finally he was free to ride, ride, ride on his own set of wheels.


And ride he did!

He even decided to try to race his Daddy.


Daddy won because he is still faster ~ for now...

The sun continued to sink lower and lower in the sky as he happily zoomed across the pavement, but eventually hunger won out and it was time to head home.


I do believe it's just the beginning of a long and happy relationship between a scooter, that begs to be ridden ~ fast, ~  and a little boy ~ no longer a baby ~ who is thrilled to oblige...


********************************************************************


Sunday Snapshot

Don't know what Sunday Snapshot is? Stefanie, the creator, describes it as:


"Sunday Snapshot is just a way to capture that special someone or something right now, because we all know time is fleeting... right now will be a distant memory before we know it!"

To join in, stop by her blog to get details.

10 comments:

Amy Murphy said...

Oh, my gosh! He looks so natural on that thing, and he's sooo little! I understand why you were so nervous at first.

Our Journey to China said...

Yeah! Chuck said, "you need to get some knee pads on that boy!" ;) Ha! He said, "he is crazy about being fast!" Of course, we do have experience with a similar boy. :) Give him a big hug for me! I love how it looks like he and DQ are chasing you and he chasing daddy. Good times!

Heather said...

Gosh, Kristi! He just melted right into your family didn't he! What a determined little sweetie!

Nancy said...

Go little man, go!!! He's so cute and a big boy now. Erin's eye got blacker today. :(

Lee and Sarah VanGrunsven said...

Such an adorable smile! :) I tried to show one of my neighbors friends children how to ride on the one she got for Christmas. I knee planted almost immediatly :)

Traci said...

Good job Daniel! I am so proud of you! And good job Mommy for being brave enough to let him.;)

Jess Danielson said...

I was so glad to see this post!! We gave Gabe an IOU for a scooter for his bday and once the snow is gone he will be bugging me to get it NOW!! I am nervous, but it looks like they get the hang of them quick!!

withgratefulhearts said...

Kristi,
Razor scooters are "all the rage" at my house too....versatile from teens to tots. :)
Love your family photos. You must be so tickled with them. and that little Daniel...so completely adorable how can you stand it!
Cherie

Di said...

Go Daniel!!! Love the post, the determination and the balancing skills!

anything but LoKEY said...

How cool is it to see that little guy flying on that scooter?! God is so good!! :)