Pages

4.15.2011

Well celebrated


Last night Ian took the kids on a little shopping trip.  Their excited whispers and loud, "Shhh, don't let Mommy hear you!"  brought a smile to my face.  I knew the purpose of their trip but played along like I had no clue.

When they got home they came running to me (caught me with my feet up on the couch just enjoying the silence) and told me that I had to stay in the living room.  I was told not, under any circumstances, to come into the kitchen.  Of course from right here I could totally hear the questions of, "Hey Daddy, how do you spell I love you Mommy?" and "Please pass the tape," and "Mommy does like chocolate, right?"

As Ian and I enjoyed our early morning breakfast that he fixed for me, he explained that there were three cards that said Mommy because each child wanted to pick on they thought was special.  As my little sleepyheads stumbled down the hall, one at a time, they each offered up their individually picked birthday card.  First up, my little guy.


When I asked him why he picked the card he did ~ a mouse hiding behind a gift but when you open the card its arms stretch out to open up wide ~ he said, "Because it says 'I love you this much' and that's how much I love you Mommy." 

Next kiddo to come down the hall, my big girl.


She told me that she selected her card because, "Well, it is pink and shiny and the fuzzy parts (decorative swirls) felt good and when Daddy read it to me I liked what it said."

Finally Ian needed to get going to begin his work day, so we went to fetch the queen of the sleepyheads.


Her card was a princess.  (I really didn't need to ask, though I was a bit surprised that it wasn't Tinkerbelle.  Guess they don't make Tink cards in the grown up section...)  She told me she picked the princess card because, "It was parkly and I hope you have a pretty parkle dress too."

Then it was time to open those sweetly wrapped gifts.  Gifts that I was informed had been selected after the guideline, "Pick something so that Mommy knows that she is loved."  I was told that the kids walked up and down the aisles of Target until they found just the things.


A scrap pack for backing photos when I create scrapbook pages.  (Says something when the only time I've taken to scrap since I've had kids is for dossiers and post placements yet my kids see me doing it so often that they know I love it).  And a giant chocolate bar.  The gourmet version of a Heath, my favorite.

Then came my present from Ian.  Arrived in the form of an email.  He made a donation in honor of my birthday to the New Day Foster Home medical and surgical fund.  The fund that paid for the heart surgery that saved my youngest son's life.  A gift that shows just how much my husband knows my heart.  And in return ~ a little note from the folks at New Day...


To top it all off, I get a date (that he arranged) with my man tonight. It's been a good birthday!

I've been well celebrated!

21 comments:

Larry and Carol said...

Happy Birthday, Kristi. What wonderful presents and cards from your three beautiful children. Happy memories. Love, AC and Unk

Kjbikakis said...

awh everything is so sweet that your kids and husband did! have fun on your date tonight~
Happy Birthday!

Ann Marie said...

Have a wonderful day. That Ghiradelli intense dark chocolate is really good...one of my faves.

anything but LoKEY said...

You were definitely lavished! Happy Birthday! They are so, so sweet.

Nancy said...

Happy birthday! What a fantastic day. I love the thought that went into the cards & gifts from the kids and Ian. You are truly blessed!

prechrswife said...

Now that sounds like a very special birthday!

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday Kristi! What a sweet gift from your husband!!! Have a wonderful day.

Lisa

Sennie said...

So sweet!!! Happy Birthday, Kristi!!

Valerie and Jeff said...

A family who knows their mommy's/wife's heart SO well! THAT is beautiful!
Perfectly thoughtful, heartful, and very precious gifts all of them! With a birthday like that I totally wouldn't mind having them!
(And I totally have to check into that gourmet Heath bar Indulgance thing! Mmmmmm)
Happy Birthday!
Valerie

Heather said...

Sounds like a perfect birthday! Happy birthday!!!!

Pam said...

Happy Birthday, Kristi. You are BLESSED!

Rachelle said...

Happy Birthday! And yes, we should plan the Zoo! That would be so fun!

Laurie said...

What an absolutely perfect b-day, Kristi! I love, love, love all the stories behind the cards... too sweet!!

Sharon said...

Happy Birthday!!!! WHAT a great bday gift. What a man Ian!!!! Hoe you had an awesome date!!!

Brad said...

Happy (belated) birthday, Kristi! Sounds like it was well celebrated.

Laine said...

Aw...SO SWEET!!!!!!!!
Happy Birthday to you!

Naomi said...

Happy Birthday to you!!! What precious children you have.

We have made it to NC!! It is beautiful here. We love it already!

Amy Murphy said...

Happy birthday! It sounds like you had a wonderful day! Glad it was so great. :)

Our Journey to China said...

Absolutely priceless, what an awesome birthday! I am so sorry I missed it in all that is going on. Please KNOW we wish you a Very Happy and Blessed Belated Birthday, sweet friend!!!

Our Journey said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday!! Love you children's thoughfulness. And that picture of Daniel & Polly? So cute!

Grandma Shultz said...

So happy that you were showered with love on your birthday because you give away so much love to all who are around you.