Pages

4.17.2011

Sunday Snapshot {a grateful heart}

[For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving...] ~ 1 Timothy 4:4

Some days in the hustle and bustle that is our life I lose sight of the truth in that verse. 

Take for example the weather.  I am quite certain that I'd never survive in a climate that has long, extended gloomy winters as even two days in a row of rain here can send me close to the edge.  I rarely wake up on a rainy day with a thankful heart. 

A few Sundays ago was one of those days.  It had threatened rain most of the previous afternoon as Ian and the kids planted two new trees in the front yard.  We awakened that morning to the sun peeking out from behind the clouds and I was thankful that a second day wouldn't be cloudy.  Our family was headed to church in both vehicles as I was staying to teach in one of the Toddler rooms during our third service, so it was just Ky and I in Ian's 1997 Saturn ~ our "other car."  We were alternating between singing along to the radio and chatting when I noticed that the clouds were rolling back in.  Fast.

Just about two miles from church, the bottom dropped out of the sky.  I'm not talking about rain, I'm talking a deluge.  In my mind I'm thinking, "Great.  We're about to navigate getting three kids out of seats and across the HUGE parking lot ~ which of course we weren't going to be near the doors because we were running slightly late ~ and do we even have any umbrellas, and the kids are gonna complain that they are cold because they are wet, and so much for straightening my hair..."   (and more grumblings of course) and then I notice that I hear a line from the song "Indescribable" being sung from the back seat of the car.

"...You are amazing God..."  Then she smiles and says, "Mommy, aren't you glad that it's raining?"

And I'm thinking, "No, do you really want to get wet going into church this morning," but instead I answer, "Are you glad it is raining?"

To which she replies, "I'm so glad that God sent the rain to water our new trees because we didn't have time to do it this morning.  Wasn't that wonderful of God to do?  He was really looking out for us!  God sure loves us a lot, doesn't he?"

taken on another day, but it shows her wonder and appreciation of rain
[Sing unto the Lord with thanksgiving; sing praise upon the harp unto our God:  Who covereth the heaven with clouds, who prepareth rain for the earth, who maketh grass to grow upon the mountains.] ~  Psalms 147:7-8

Once more I was reminded that some lessons are taught to the parent by the child...

****************************************************************


Ni Hao Yall


Don't know what Sunday Snapshot is?  Stefanie, the creator, describes it as:

"Sunday Snapshot is just a way to capture that special someone or something right now, because we all know time is fleeting... right now will be a distant memory before we know it!"

To join in, stop by her blog to get details.

13 comments:

Gwen said...

Such a good reminder. I learn lessons like this from my kids all the time.
Another lesson I'm working on-- "Choose to be happy." :)

Lindy D. said...

Kylie is growing up to be such a beautiful young lady...
both inside and out.

Amy Murphy said...

she is such a sweetie!!! :)

Julie said...

Oh, wow! That is a good one.

anything but LoKEY said...

...from a child's heart...perfect!

Laine said...

He IS amazing! Love how He uses those babes!

Our Journey to China said...

Oh, sweet Ky! Thank you for the gentle reminder to be thankful on the rainy days too. :0)

Our Journey said...

How sweet & thoughtful is she?!?!

Grandma Shultz said...

My precious Kylie. Thank you for reminding Grandma that rainy days are special blessings from God. I needed that reminder. God loves you and so do I.

prechrswife said...

That is great! (For the record, I'm the same as you about rainy days, so this is a good reminder.)

Angela said...

Sweet girl. Love that picture.

Traci said...

Kylie you are wise beyond your years! I love you Kylie-bug!

Wife of the Pres. said...

Thank you Kylie for the reminder that the rain too IS from God.

Beautiful Kristi. You are blessed! L