Pages

10.04.2010

Sunday Snapshot {Please may I have?}

I really love almost every aspect of being my kids' preschool teacher.  Seriously, I don't have to get them dressed or comb their hair, we are spending more intentional time together, I get to control the content, they are learning scripture (so am I for that matter) AND I don't have to pack lunches ahead of time.  And I don't have to mention the cash we are saving...  Yes, I love it all.  With just one little exception.

The grocery store.  They just don't make carts for folks with three preschool age kids.  Well, not at a regular grocery store anyway.  BJs has carts to seat four, but I can't justify doing my weekly shopping there ~ yet...

So our Sunday schedule now includes me making a grocery run during nap time. Yesterday, I was finalizing the list as Ian was getting the kids ready for their afternoon siesta.  In front of the kids I asked him if he had anything to add to the list.  He asked for a new loaf of bread for his daily PB & J at the office.

Kylie perked up when she heard me ask him and said, "Mommy, I have a special request too."  Amused, I said, "Okay, so what would you like for me to get at the grocery store this week?," figuring that she's ask for popsicles or stand up yogurt, or something chocolate.

Instead, she paused, put her hand under her chin, and says, "Um, please may I have some broccoli please?"


Darcy doesn't skip a beat and replies, "Call-fower!"

Caleb then chimes in with, "Please may I have some dump-eens!"

For anyone who was as surprised as me that my little man answered anything other than cauliflower, when I responded with "What did you say?" to his dumpling request, he grinned, shrugged his shoulders and said, "Well, Darcy already say flower."

They are a strange little bunch, but I love them so!

**All pictures taken after I was home with their grocery treasures**

******************************************************************************





Ni Hao Y'all

17 comments:

Nancy said...

That is so cute! I would have never guessed kids would request veggies! And BTW, it is so evident you have a passion for preschooling your kids, you are awesome at it!

Andrea said...

My little one (that hasn't been ruined by her mother's sweet tooth) still prefer cold, unbuttered, unsalted green beans to any other snack. I tried to put a positive spin on it by calling them chilled, non-fat, sodium free green beans.

Gwen said...

this. is. awesome!!! :)

The Ferrill's said...

I love them so, too! Little healthy buggars! :)

Amy Murphy said...

That's awesome! And where do you get your dumplings? I can't seem to find any in the regular grocery store or at Sams. Or do you make them yourself?

Our Journey said...

Funny! I will have to say each one of those items would be on Anne Marie's grocery list as well though.

Heather said...

Good job mom! They sound like great eaters!

Kristi said...

Amy, They are the Ling Ling brand and they are pretty good. I find the mega bag at BJs, but I've seen them at a few regular grocery stores now. They come in a yellow bag that is supposed to be resealable. This last time we had "resealable issues," so Ziplock came to the rescue.

Kristi said...

No way, my oldest asked for cookies and ice cream, LOL. I did not get to commit last time, so congrats on your new little one. I was wondering how much younger is he than Darcy? I am thinking only 6/8 months? Not sure. Can not wait to follow you back to China. Kristi

a Tonggu Momma said...

Doctors and registered dietitians everywhere are smiling.

Sharon said...

LOVE that..one of Hudsons favs are avocados and of course guacaomle....he will eat both totally plain with a spoon!!!

Lisa said...

How awesome is that? Way to go mom!

Anonymous said...

I love the ADORABLE pictures.

Marge

Anonymous said...

So cute! How funny that the Dad eats PB&J & the kids are wanting healthy veggies. My daughter loves to eat the mushrooms I pick off of pizza...

Wife of the Pres. said...

That is hilarious!

I assume BJ's is like Sam'sPlace? If so, I make a weekly run there now. I try to stretch it to 10 days, but with 3 boys ages 12, 10 and 8 and then the two littles not to mention DH and myself.. yeah, grocery budget is going down fast!

As for shopping, I try to take one child with me one evening. It is quality time one-on-one which is RARE around here with 5 children and they actually help! Love your sunday snap. posts!!!

Annie said...

So cute, Kristi! Mine would have definitely gone for the sugar! Sigh! Good for them!

Anne Devlin said...

How adorable are your kids! I have two that might make requests like that and then one who would go straight for the chocolate (like his mama ;-). About the grocery store issue - that's how I got started on Lowes to Go - it is seriously worth the $18/mo for unlimited shopping online. And it's cut way down on my spur of the moment buys - not to mention, they still take my coupons!