Pages

5.25.2010

Last day

sigh.

Today marks another "milestone" in the road of my darlings growing up.  Seems like just yesterday that I was snapping this picture as I prepared to take my kids to their first day of preschool.

That day (September 8) now seems light years ago.  They have learned to follow classroom rules, made new friends, mastered color (Caleb) and ABC (Kylie) recognition, and added a little sister.  They also have gone from begging me not to make them to preschool to asking me nearly every day if it is a preschool day.  And I think they've both sprouted again...

Today when I requested that the kiddos come to the porch for a picture before we headed to school, Kylie asked why I was taking a picture.  I reminded her that it was the last day.  She got a very serious look on her face, furrowed her brow, and said, "Oh, that's sad!"

And it is. I'm sad that both will miss their new friends and wonderful teachers.  And if I must admit it, I'm sad that it means there is just one year left before my big girl heads off to kindergarten.  But each new stage brings new accomplishments, and I have found that I love each age just a little more than the last...

12 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow - it's amazing to see how much they have grown in just 7 months. Beautiful kids, Kristi! I can't believe Kylie is going to be in kindergarten in just over a year?

Kathy said...

I have just caught up on all the blogs after a week of being 'out of the loop'. What a lot has happened. My heart was filled by all the stories about Grandpa, Darcy, Kylie and Caleb and all the rest. What a blessing to have your stories to connect with. It simply fills me up. Thanks.
Love, LaoLao

a Tonggu Momma said...

I don't know if you remember how much I was dreading kindergarten this time last year... but... I have to say... while it IS a huge adjustment, it is also so much fun. It's wonderful to see the Tongginator's world expand by leaps and bounds. It's wonderful to meet new friends. And they grow - oh, how much they grow. Enjoy this next year with your girl, but know that kindergarten is wonderful in its own way... different, and parts are difficult, but it's still wonderful.

Heather said...

goodness me .. how did that happen, Caleb looks like he's grown yearS! I agree with you though .. each new season I enjoy a bit more than the last .. well, except for this new teenager stuff, ha! :) I know you and the kids will miss the fun of school but if today was the last day of school then it's also the FIRST day of summer and that has become a day I so look forward to. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about all your summer adventures.

Jenn said...

NO WAY!!! I was just looking at that picture yesterday it seems!

I think the best part of this year was the added little sister!

Melanie & David said...

Oh, I am so with you! We just had our end of year parent/teacher conference this morning and we're so in love with Indigo's teacher! We're really hoping that Isaac will have her next year and we discussed which teachers might be the best fit for Indigo next year. Like your Kylie (I think they are only about 6 weeks apart) she has one more year until kindergarten which just sounds impossible to me. I love that they love school - that is fantastic. I bet Darcy is excited to go next year. Your Caleb is so handsome! I can't remember if you posted Kylie's percentiles from her fourth birthday but she is tall and magnificent. We cannot wait until you come back this way again - just make sure it's not the first two weeks of July as we'll be away. Melanie, David, Indigo and Isaac

Tricia said...

Wow! I can't believe how much Caleb has changed.

Nancy said...

That is a GREAT photo of the three of them!

Our Journey to China said...

They all look so adorable! They do grow up so very, very fast. (Is that a VT dress Darcy has on? - Go VT!) :0)

Our Journey said...

Oh Anne Marie's last day was yesterday -- and I was just feeling so many of the things you were -- and it's funny because Anne Marie is very sad that school is ending too! (she's worried about what her teachers are going to do w/out her..haa) It's scary how FAST time flies!! It seemed like just yesterday was her very 1st day of pre-school.

Sharon said...

Today is our last day which means when school starts I will be sending Hudson to preschool...I have NEVER had one go to preschool so I am sad already....(I always homeschooled) but I know he will love it and growing up is so bitter sweet!!! (AND I NEED SUMMER!!)

Heather said...

So so cute! What an adorable picture!!!!!